Thursday, February 7, 2013


So we had our 1 yr check-up and it didn't go quite to plan. First having to track down my orthopedist to get an appointment was incredibly frustrating. Thankfully, now have every direct line number for Kaiser orthopedics. As for the appointment...there was no correction to Nolan's leg in 6 months. It's still showing an approximate 130 degree bow. Then there was the bomb..."I think it's time to consider surgery." This option has been lingering in my mind since day one but the optimist in my believed his leg would straighten out. Dr. Shoemaker said Nolan's case is the worst he has ever seen but surgery will be a definite full correction. After my initial panic attack, I knew he was right.

The night I broke the news to Cameron and he was shocked as well. The other option to consider was a brace and re-evaluate in a year. However the constant pressure on the leg from walking would hardly help the situation. After discussing our options, we both agreed surgery was necessary.

A few days later I got a call from Shoemakers office claiming someone had canceled and they could get us in within 2 weeks. The decision I had seemed so confident of even hours previously suddenly seemed like the end of the world. I kept it together on the phone. But I couldn't help but to break down and cry once I hung up.

My sweet, delicate, loving little man was going to endure a surgery that makes most grown adults run and hide. They will be breaking to bone, cutting a wedge on the outside of the curve, and the re-inserting the wedge on the inside. He will then have pins and a cast for 4 weeks. Following that will be a walking cast for 6 more. He isn't allowed to put any pressure on the leg for the first 4 weeks.

I'm so nervous and scared for my little dude. The last thing you ever want for your child is to deliberately put them through pain. I know that this decision is best though. I get so sad when I see him try to walk or stand. He gets it for a few seconds and then falls down crying. He is so angry that he can't walk or keep up with me. He knows something isn't right. I know this will all be worth it when I finally get to see him take his first steps. It's something most parents take for granted. I know that when I finally see it, I will be recording it and showing everyone around me. Watch out stranger in line at will be seeing a video of my baby walking. There was a point in my pregnancy where I didn't even know if he would be able to walk.

Oh and let's not forget the LLD. As of now Dr. Shoemaker doesn't see a significant difference. However, when you break the bone, it stimulates growth. His left leg will be getting a little longer after the whole surgery. Hopefully if there is any sufferance, this will correct everything and no more surgeries necessary! At least I could end the post on a good note. Lots more info and photos to come tomorrow post-op.

No comments:

Post a Comment